Friday, June 8, 2018

Arbitrarily Announcing Steam-Free Month!

    Hello, everyone. I was planning on reviewing Cultist Simulator, a card game by Fallen London alumni that caught my attention recently. However, something bigger has caught my attention: Steam/Valve doing something extremely stupid. You've probably heard about how recently Steam has had some trouble with some adult-oriented anime visual novels (shamelessly self-promoting my writing!) as well as a game basically about being a school shooter, a touchy subject in the only country where this is a big problem. Steam's solution? Throw their hands in the air and say "Fine! If you don't like how we curate, we'll just open the floodgates!"
    It's actions like this that make me pretend to take a sullen drink from a beer and reminisce about the time a game like Bad Rats was an anomaly among actually decent games. Steam's policy now is anything goes, unless it's illegal (does it consider each country's laws? Would Night in the Woods be illegal in Saudi Arabia for having a gay couple?), "straight up trolling" (whatever that incredibly ambiguous definition means,) and doesn't meet their standards of quality.

Seriously, I had no idea they had standards of quality.


    Sure, it might be good that Steam is less likely to take down anime visual novels, but if you're a small developer who actually cares about making good games, it's going to be even harder to get seen amidst the raw sewage. I may have a tiny blog with less than 50 readers at most and a couple of internships at small geek news websites, but that doesn't mean I can't protest in some way, damn it! I've been doing it to Nintendo for like two years ever since they started throwing around DMCAs. Fan modding is not a crime, especially if they're giving a 22-year-old game multiplayer!
Image result for mother 4
And I swear, if the fear of DMCAs forces the game formerly known as Mother 4 to take one delay too many and cease production...
 So I've arbitrarily decided to do a theme for the rest of the month! Who knows? Maybe doing some theme/celebration might draw in some people! Anyway, for each Monday for the rest of the month, I'll be doing a review/preview of a game or it's demo for a game not on Steam! I'll give a hint for each week. Get thinking!

    Week 1: Here's a quote from someone related to this game. "And I swear to God, our ****in' teacher says "Who's been drawing dicks!?""

    Week 2: Since this is pride month, I'm planning on a game demo with some LGBT+ stuff. Combined with another demographic in this game, I'm sure to anger someone close-minded. Yay!

    Week 3: See the last picture I posted? It has something to do with that. Not as in a (former) fan sequel, but the franchise off of which it's based.

No comments:

Post a Comment